We Are The Light In Tunnel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sarahnade.
Admin

Number of posts : 3466
Registration date : 2007-09-16

PostSubject: We Are The Light In Tunnel   11/4/2007, 1:21 pm

Bert/Gerard. The song The Used preform is called 'Tunnel' and it is by them.

Disclaimer - I don't own of the characters, sadly. Just the writing.
----

I sighed and rubbed my palms together, trying to evaporate the sweat that was forming. I looked up to see my younger brother, Mikey, talking to Frank, my best friend and band mate. It was so loud in there and they looked like they were in an interesting conversation. I looked up at the stage, knowing that my nightmare was going to come on in less that 5 minutes. I chocked back a sob. I didn't want anyone - especially my band mates - to see me nervous. I told them I would be fine and that I would be capable of sitting through this, but I know that's the biggest lie i've ever sinned.

I leaned back in the chair that was reserved for me. I drummed softly on the arm rests and sighed once more. I had tried everything for the past week to be prepared for this moment, and I was still a wreck. My heart was racing, attempting to leap out of my mouth. I swallowed hard and looked at the floor. I felt like I was having a panic attack. All I wanted to do was get out of here and drive far, far away.

Mikey, Frank and my other friends and band mates came and sat around me when the host of the award show came out. I exhaled slowly and clenched my fists while the audience applauded for the announcer. I felt the redness leave my face, knowing my skin was whiter than a ghosts. The host went on thanking the people that came and such, but his voice sounded muffled. My fear and nervousness eventually tuned him out to the point where I couldn't hear or see anything. I felt like I was going to pass out.

"Gerard, are you okay?" Mikey asked, with an elbow jab to my ribs. It felt like he woke me up from a dream while doing so. Everything was moving when I mumbled, "Yeah..i'm fine." I could feel him frowning at me without having to look at him. "Are you sure? You're really pale, Gee." I gave a weak smile. "Yeah..I guess i'm a little nervous." He gave me a small hug. "It's okay, Gerard. Really. Nothings going to happen. Once they perform and we heard the winner of Band Of The Year, we can leave. That'll be in like..25 minutes...'kay?" I nodded, not believing anything he said. I know we could leave whenever, but I also knew it was going to be okay.

Then it happened. They came on the stage.

The Used.

The audience screamed and roared, wailing at just the sight of the artists. They were loving the sight they saw while I was loathing it. They all came out - Bert, Quinn, Jeph and Dan - with smiles plastered on their faces. Quinn came out first, but I didn't even noticed him. Bert was last to come out, his arm in the air, waving to the crowd of people that were waiting for the opening performance. I couldn't take my eyes off of that man. The way Bert's blond hair dangled in his face - making him a number 1 Kurt Cobain look-a-like - and the way his tattoos shined and reflected from the lights in the ceiling. I just watched his movements to the microphone.

My eyes were glued on Bert.

He smiled..and a piece of my heart died. I lost myself in that wicked grin he had. His dimples popped out and his white teeth shimmered. I wanted to kill myself at that moment because watching him look beautiful was killing me slowly.

"Alright, Vegas! The city of sins!" he yelled. The audience shrieked back and I sunk in my seat. His voice was exactly the same it was 4 years ago. Mikey looked over at me, sympathy in his eyes. He grabbed my left hand and asked me if I wanted to leave. My body wanted to take off like a rocket, but, for some reason, my mind was screaming for me to stay. I shook my head. "No..," was all I could say before a beautiful acoustic guitar riff belted out from the stage. I then heard Bert say:

"This is a song I wrote for an old friend."

Mikey grabbed onto my hand. We both knew that he was talking about me. The way his voice snarled, but had a sweet tenderness to it at the same time..and the way his eyes gleamed..

He began to sing:

I set out alone,
Crawl through the tunnel,
My eyes can hardly see the other side,
No longer cold,
Or feeling in trouble,
I realize that I am just alive,
So let it shine..

I swallowed and straightened up in my seat. His voice was flowing the most gorgeous it ever had. He sounded..sober.

Cause we are, the light in the tunnel,
We are the living and dying,
See how we are, alone in the world,
We are the light in the tunnel,
That's all..

This was an amazing song. The way Bert's voice connected with the acoustic guitar. It sounded like the definition of beauty. I sat up more in my seat and watched Bert. He looked upset..he was never upset.

Moving so slow, towards the end of the tunnel
I don't pretend I'll see the other side
I trudge through the mud
I push through the rubble
To realize that I am just alive
So let it shine

I was breaking down each lyric that came out of his mouth. Each one had its own life; its own meaning. This wasn't some punk rock tune that Bert thought of when smoking pot, I could tell. It was so emotional and moving..so unlike The Used. They repeated the chorus and then he sang:

The world is not leaving us,
But we will be leaving this world
Yeah, the world is not leaving us,
Do we believe in this world?

The rest of the song flew by so quickly. I was still flabbergasted at the beauty of the song. It was so unlike The Used. I was expecting a song about the anger Bert could have towards me. I was expecting a handful of 'fuck you's', but I was completely wrong. Bert's voice rang out the last line:

We are the light in the tunnel
That's all.

The audience roared with happiness. Bert smiled and took a bow. When his head came back up, his eyes locked with mine.

I saw tears in his eyes, and I know there was water in mine.

He looked back into the crowd, waved and quickly jogged off the stage. Mikey looked at me. "Are you alright?" he asked. I swallowed, trying to get dryness away from my throat. I nodded and rubbed my eyes, trying to hide tears. "Yeah.." I muttered.

10 minutes later, I found myself fidgeting. I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to see him, closer than I just did. I had a longing and I knew I would regret it if I didn't go see him. I leaned over to Mikey. "I'll be back," I whispered in his ear before I left the audience and headed backstage.

I walked past a million faces, it seemed, and I still didn't spot him. I was surrounded by every celebrity in the book, besides him and the rest of The Used. I sighed at my loss and sat down on a step, leading to My Chemical Romance's dressing room. I was about to stand up and go in the door when I heard a voice say:

"Couldn't you find me?"

I looked up to see him. Anger, love, pain, joy and sorrow ran through my veins at once. I tried not to show happiness, but I ended up smiling. "No, I couldn't," I replied as he sat down next to me. He took out a pack of cigarettes and pulled one out. "You have to look harder. I can be quite sneaky." I smirked. "Yeah. Your just like fucking Waldo." He bursted into laughter and ran his fingers through his hair. "Do you have a lighter?" he asked. I reached into my pocket and pulled a dark blue lighter out. "Always," I said while handing it to him. He smiled, took it happily, lit it up, and took a drag.

"What did you think of that tune?" he asked. I looked at the floor and pushed my hair out of my eyes. "It was good, Bert," I said. He nodded. "Thank you, Gerard." he replied.

We sat in silence. I was cracking my finger while he took quiet drags. He sighed. "When I saw you in the crowd, I thought I was going to shit myself." I laughed nervously. "Yeah..I lost sleep just thinking about tonight." He frowned and tapped the ash off his cigarette. "Me too..I didn't know if you guys would show or not."

We sat in silence once more until he broke it. "I heard you got married. Congrats." I nodded. "Thanks." "Is she here?" he asked. "Nah. She hates shit like this," I replied. He nodded. "Me too. But, what are you gonna do?" I just nodded.

We spoke of nothing for a few long minutes. I looked at my watch. "Well..I should be getting back out there to see if we win." Bert nodded and took another drag. "Yeah, good luck." I nodded, thanked him, and turned to leave. I felt a rough hand grab my arm.

I turned around to find Bert, holding my arm, and tossing his cigarette in the nearby trashcan. "Gerard," he started, "I want to apologize for everything. I'm so sorry for what happened between us. I think about you every fucking night. I hate myself so much for doing so much shit to you. I love you, Gee. I really do. I just want you to know that."

Tears burned in my eyes. Was Bert McCracken apologizing to me?

I nodded and opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. Instead, I wrapped my arms around him and brought him into a warm embrace. He accepted my gesture happily, wrapping his arms around me. He rubbed my back and we released the hug. "I love you too, Bert." I replied. He smiled and nodded. "Why, thanks." I giggled and we parted.

I walked out, just in time to hear we lost Band Of The Year. I was no where near being disappointed. So what, I lost to fucking Fall Out Boy. I got to make up with an old friend, and I would rather do that than win an award from MTV any day.

Modern Zero.

Number of posts : 2476
Registration date : 2007-09-18

PostSubject: Re: We Are The Light In Tunnel   11/4/2007, 1:47 pm

awwww, that was really good!!!

so awesome!

I love it!!

i'll have to check out that song Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3466
Registration date : 2007-09-16

PostSubject: Re: We Are The Light In Tunnel   11/4/2007, 10:30 pm

lol, thanx Smile
and, yes, you have to. the song is amazing.

Modern Zero.

Number of posts : 2476
Registration date : 2007-09-18

PostSubject: Re: We Are The Light In Tunnel   11/5/2007, 1:33 am

okay! lololol

and welcomes!

Smile

PostSubject: Re: We Are The Light In Tunnel   

Back to top Go down

We Are The Light In Tunnel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum